Advancing topical product research through education, collaboration and financial support
The aim of the Dow Development Institute is to advance the science supporting topical product development and innovation through education and collaborations, and to share results of the research with industry and academia through publications such as white papers, abstracts, posters and journal articles.
- Dermatological Product Development Course: Current Issues for Topical Products, with interactive sessions for hands-on learning. Presented by Dow Development Institute, and sponsored by Dow Development Laboratories and Croda Inc. Dr. David Osborne, with a long and successful history of bringing topical drug products to market, is the instructor of the two-day course in northern California, April 18–19, 2018. Topics include regulatory paths, nonclinical and clinical strategies, formulation development of different dosage forms, analytical methods and stability, QbD, skin permeation, patents and unique aspects of the FDA Dermatology Division. Click here for more information.
White Papers and Publications (in process)
- “Characterization of a liquid crystal stabilized pharmaceutical oil-in-water emulsion optimized for skin delivery”; Melinda Sutton, G. Alan Schick, Kevin Dahl, David W. Osborne
- “Formulating topical products containing live microorganisms as the active ingredient”; Jason Carbol, Yug Varma, David W. Osborne
Opportunities for Collaborations and Financial Support
- Coming soon
Useful Links and Relevant Conferences
- FDA Inactive Ingredient Database https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/InformationOnDrugs/ucm080123.htm
- Guidance for industry – Nonsterile Semisolid Dosage Forms. Scale-Up and Post-approval Changes (SUPAC): Chemistry, Manufacturing, & Controls; In Vitro Release Testing & In Vivo Bioequivalence Documentation, 1997 https://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/Guidances/UCM070930.pdf
- ICH/Quality Guidelines http://www.ich.org/products/guidelines/quality/article/quality-guidelines.html
- 2018 Dermatological Innovation Forum (February 15, San Diego, CA), 2018 http://www.dermsummit.com/2018/
- American Association of Dermatology (AAD), 2018 Annual Meeting, Feb 16-18, San Diego, CA https://www.aad.org/meetings/annual-meeting
- Society for Investigative Dermatology (SID) and International Investigative Dermatology (IID) Meeting, May 16-19, 2018, Orlando, FL http://www.sidnet.org/page/AnnualMeeting